- 01 - Almost 2000 years ago, in the year 79, the
city of Pompeii was buried under layers of volcanic particles from
the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Today, the city has been
uncovered and is open to visit.
- 02 & 03 - Ruins of the city
- 04 - A crater still smoldering...
- 05 - Here, you see inside the crater of the
volcano - it shows layers of successive eruptions.
- 06 & 07 - Death Valley, USA 1999.
In the first photo, you can see salt crystals which formed as water
evaporated in the hot climate. Photos courtesy of N. Hefez.
- 08, 09 & 10 - The
Island of Martinique in the Caribbean is a good example of a
tropical climate. Here you can see exotic flowers and lush
vegetation. Compare these photos with those of Death Valley in
the US. or Djibouti in East Africa. Rain makes a big difference.
- 11 -
- 12 -